Each year, Beloit publishes their Mindset List for incoming college freshman. This helps you understand the current generation of college students. Some interesting stuff with some interesting implications for churches. Here are a few:
- The Biblical sources of terms such as “Forbidden Fruit,” “The writing on the wall,” “Good Samaritan,” and “The Promised Land” are unknown to most of them.
- Having grown up with MP3s and iPods, they never listen to music on the car radio and really have no use for radio at all.
- A significant percentage of them will enter college already displaying some hearing loss.
- They have lived in an era of instant stardom and self-proclaimed celebrities, famous for being famous.
- NBC has never shown A Wonderful Life more than twice during the holidays.
- Despite being preferred urban gathering places, two-thirds of the independent bookstores in the United States have closed for good during their lifetimes.